Sugaring is an ancient Persian method of hair removal practiced throughout the east for centuries and is rapidly gaining popularity in the west. This sugar based homemade wax is 100% natural with no chemicals added. It is less painful process than waxing, because it sticks to the hair without attaching to the skin.
Sugaring Vs. Waxing
Some people wonder what’s the difference between waxing and sugaring (sugar waxing) when, in both techniques, hair is pulled out hair a strip at a time from the roots. Even though the process looks similar, it actually has different effects with one being a lot gentler than the other.
What is sugar waxing and how is it different from regular waxing?
The wax used in sugaring is traditionally handmade with all natural ingredients. The mix is usually composed of 3-4 of the following ingredients: sugar, honey, lemon juice, vinegar and water. Most waxes sold in stores contain chemicals, oils, dyes, preservatives, fragrance and other ingredients that may be toxic or cause allergic reactions. The result is rashes, breakouts, irritations and reddened skin that can last for days.
Sugaring, on the other hand, is a gentle wax that is easy to apply and remove. It is water soluble so it will wash off easily with water, whereas, the chemical waxes are tough to take off and if they fall on the wrong hairs and the hairs accidently get pulled- well there goes a bald spot! With sugar waxing, you can remove any excess wax easily before pulling. It also washes off the skin right away so that you don’t have to pull and tug on the excess wax to remove it, thus irritating your skin.
Benefits of Sugar Waxing
- Sugar waxing is a gentle way of removing unwanted hair from the face and body. It is also excellent for underarms and the bikini area. The benefits of
- Gentle on the skin- it doesn’t adhere to the skin like chemical waxes so the skin is not pulled as much but the hair is removed effectively.
- All natural & chemical free- there are no chemicals, preservatives, or other toxins used
- Water soluble- removes easily with water
- Removes dead skin cells and not live cells- because other waxes adhere to the skin, they often are harsh and will remove live skin cells as well as dead ones.
- Less chances of allergic reactions- since sugaring is gentle, there are less chances of breakouts, rashes, scabs, skin peels, skin burns, irritated skin or long-lasting reddened skin.
- Less pain- it hurts less than other waxes and is great in the more sensitive areas like the upper lip, bikini, brows and underarms
- Great for all areas of the body